Brannoxtown Community National School 

Brannoxtown Community National School opened in September 2018 under the patronage of the Kildare Wicklow Education and Training Board (KWETB). It is Ireland’s 14th Community National School (i.e., a primary school with a local Education and Training Board as its patron) and the third Community National School under KWETB Patronage.

History and heritage

Our school has a rich heritage; it dates back to 1885 when it was established as a Baptist School by John La Touche, Master of Harristown Estate. LaTouche gave permission for the use of stone and materials from Portlester Castle, which occupied the original site, for the construction of the new school for the Baptist community.  Portlester, a medium-sized Norman castle located opposite Harristown station had been badly damaged in a raid.

Few of the National Schools established prior to the close of the last century still survive today. Our original school building (part-Norman castle) is a listed building. The school has had many refurbishments since 1885. The most recent of these, which included replacing the roof and windows, was completed in 2012 during the construction of the new school building.

The school closed in 1904 when it became a private residence. In 1929, the Catholic community purchased the school and it reopened on July 1st, 1929 with Ms. Duffy as principal until 1972. Toilets were added to the building in the mid 1960s and during the 1970s further improvements were made under the direction of successive Boards of Management. The school was renovated inside and out with the addition of central heating, modern lighting and flooring.. Today, the original schoolhouse comprises one large classroom, two offices, a staff room and toilets.

Modern, new building 

Our school includes a state-of-the-art, new building which opened in 2013. Four large classrooms are fully equipped with a wonderful range of educational resources, technologies, workspaces and storage spaces. Following the opening of Brannoxtown CNS under patronage of the KWETB in September 2018, the two downstairs classrooms in the new building are currently used for children in Junior and Senior classes. One of the upstairs classrooms serves as an indoor gym and recreation space where children can enjoy a range of break-time activities on rainy days.

A new journey for our school

Our school is now in its third phase of development – from a Baptist School, to a Catholic School, to a Community National School. We are excited to develop Brannoxtown CNS to benefit children and their families, and to contribute to and grow with, the local community. As our title suggests, ‘community’ is at the heart of the school’s next journey. Our school serves children and families of the community. All stakeholders are respected and valued and invited to contribute to our learning community.

At Brannoxtown CNS, we uphold the values of excellence, equality and diversity. Our school is a joyful place where we support all children to grow in competence and confidence so they can flourish as learners and individuals.

We are currently enrolling children across all classes – from Junior Infants to Sixth Class. If you wish to know more, please contact us.

Brannoxtown CNS

Address:
Brannoxtown Community National School
Brannockstown, Co. Kildare,
W91 NY67

Contact us

Scoil © All rights reserved 2019 | Design and Development by The Web Centre.